Since the opening of the Gare de l’Ouest metro station, this district has been one of the best served by public transport (metro, bus, tram and train) in the Brussels-Capital Region.
Within the district lies a 13-hectare site belonging to SNCB-NMBS and Infrabel on either side of the railway and metro lines between Gare de l’Ouest and Osseghem stations. The land is still available for the creation of the dense urban fabric of housing, local facilities, shops and businesses that the Region needs. The development of the under-utilised potential of this former goods station will also enable better links to be created between the neighbouring districts through the development of pleasant public spaces.
The definition study approved by the government of the Brussels-Capital Region in 2015 led to:
- the assessment of the site and surrounding neighbourhoods, identifying needs in terms of housing, educational facilities, economic activities, transport, landscape, etc.;
- various recommendations for future development.
In 2016, the Brussels Planning Agency perspective.brussels launched the procedure for the drawing up of a Territorial Development Plan (PAD-RPA)..
In January 2018, Infrabel laid the foundation stone for its training centre for railway workers on the north side of the site.
The role of the Urban Development Corporation (sau-msi.brussels)
The Urban Development Corporation (sau-msi.brussels) has:
- adapted part of the site which is already owned by the Region for a temporary occupation project: MolenWest;
- prepared for the implementation of the site’s development once the purchase of the land by the Region has been completed;
- refined the financial arrangements for the planned projects together with various partners;
- carried out or initiated several studies relating to the hydrology of the site, the stability of the existing train sheds, the feasibility of various projects, the cost of soil remediation and other matters.